Academic Literacy Centers Grades 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 BUNDLES (eBooks)
The value-priced Academic Literacy Centers Grades 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 BUNDLES include all the resources teachers need to organize and manage six full-year, grade-level literacy centers (stations). CCSS alignment documents included. Following are the instructional components:
Reading Fluency and Comprehension
- 43 expository reading fluencies, leveled at 3rd, 5th, and 7th grades, with vocabulary, word counts, and timing sheets with YouTube modeled readings at 3 different speeds and fluency timing sheets
- 48 corresponding comprehension worksheets with vocabulary in context and higher level comprehension questions
Writing Literacy Center #2: Sentence Revisions and Literary Response
- 56 sentence revisions lessons, which include revising sentence structure, grammar application, and writing style
- 56 literary response activities, which include literary quotation mentor texts and writer response tasks with different rhetorical stance (voice, audience, purpose, and form)
Language Conventions Literacy Center #3: Grammar and Mechanics
- 56 grammar and mechanics lessons including online links for both grammar and mechanics content and/or skills (Internet access preferred with tablets, phones, or desktop access, but not necessary)
- Biweekly unit tests with definition, identification, and writing application
Vocabulary Literacy Center #4: Vocabulary Worksheets and Study Cards
- 56 vocabulary worksheets including multiple meaning words and context clues; Greek and Latin word parts; dictionary and thesaurus skills; figures of speech; word relationships; semantic connotations; and Frayer model four square academic language words
- Vocabulary study guides and biweekly unit tests with definition and short answer
Spelling and Syllabication Literacy Center #5: Spelling Sorts and Syllabication Worksheets
- 28 spelling sorts based upon conventional spelling rules
- 28 syllable worksheets
Study Skills Literacy Center #6: Self-assessment, Study Skills Lessons, and Reflection
- 56 self-assessment, study skills lessons, and reflection
- Motivation, goal-setting, homework time management, organization, listening and note-taking, test preparation, memorization, research skills, reading, writing, and grammar strategies
- Ten Literacy Center Rotations
- Literacy Centers Group Norms BE HEROIC! Group Norms
- Literacy Centers LEADERSHIP ROLES
- Center Signs (pocket card size)
- Center Signs (full size)
- Reading Literacy Center Task Card: Reading Fluency and Comprehension
- Writing Literacy Center Task Card: Sentence Revisions and Literary Response
- Language Conventions Literacy Center Task Card: Grammar, Usage, and Mechanics
- Vocabulary Literacy Center Task Card: Odd-Numbered Vocabulary Worksheets
- Vocabulary Literacy Center Task Card: Even-Numbered Vocabulary Worksheets
- Spelling and Syllabication Literacy Center Task Card: Spelling Sorts
- Spelling and Syllabication Literacy Center Task Card: Syllable Worksheets
- Study Skills Literacy Center Task Card: Self-assessment, Study Skills Lesson, and Reflection
These twice-per-week literacy centers maximize learning through collaborative tasks, each taking 20 minutes to complete. The six independent centers free-up the teacher to conduct mini-conferences with individual students, teach a guided reading group, or walk the classroom to supervise.
A variety of rotation options (four-days-per-week centers with 40, 60, 80, and 100-minute class time allocations) provides flexibility and the addition of other centers as the teacher sees fit.
The Academic Literacy Centers have been designed to minimize or eliminate preparation, correction, behavioral problems, and clean-up time and to maximize flexible, on-task learning.
Can I set up, tear down, and move these centers quickly? Yes. Set up and tear down only take a few minutes. Perfect if you share a classroom or move to another classroom.
Are there directions for each lesson and activity? Yes. There are longer teacher directions and shorter student directions on the literacy center task cards (provided in both color and black and white).
Do the literacy centers have the same instructional procedures for each lesson and activity? Yes. Read the directions and model the first activity or lesson for each literacy center once and your students will be able to work independently thereafter.
Are there answers for all the literacy center lessons and activities? Yes, except for open-ended thinking, free-response questions.
How much correction is there? Plenty, but your students will do all the correcting. Answers are provided with each task. Students learn from their own mistakes.
What exactly is Common Core State Standard grade-level specific and what is not? The sentence revisions (Writing Academic Literacy Center), vocabulary worksheets (Vocabulary Academic Literacy Center), spelling sorts (Spelling and Syllabication Academic Literacy Center) each have separate grades 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 lessons and activities (CCSS allignment documents included). Other lessons and activities cover the breadth of the grades 4–8 Standards. The reading fluencies and comprehension worksheets are leveled at third, fifth, and seventh grade levels.
Can I add these literacy centers to my own rotation of literacy centers? Certainly, or combine with my four Remedial Literacy Centers for grades 4-8 intervention. Each center provides comprehensive diagnostic and formative assessments with corresponding literacy center lessons. These full-year, 20-minute, twice-per-week remedial centers fit perfectly within the group rotations provided with the Academic Literacy Centers:
- Remedial Spelling Literacy Center: 102 spelling pattern worksheets
- Remedial Grammar, Usage, and Mechanics Literacy Center: 77 grammar, usage, and mechanics worksheets
- Phonics Literacy Center:35 lessons and phonics game cards
- Sam and Friends Guided Reading Phonics Books: 56 eight-page decodable guided reading books with comprehension questions, word fluencies, and custom running records.
Also make sure to check out the value-priced Remedial Literacy Centers BUNDLE. Help your students catch up while they keep up with grade-level instruction.
Can I buy just one or a few of the Academic Literacy Centers? Of course. Check out the previews and pricing for each of these six grade-level centers:
- Reading: 43 Reading Fluency (with YouTube modeled readings at three different speeds) and 48 Reading Comprehension Worksheets
- Writing: 56 Sentence Revision and 56 Literary Response Lessons
- Language Conventions:56 Grammar, Usage, and Mechanics Lessons with Biweekly Unit Tests
- Vocabulary: 56 Vocabulary Worksheets and Vocabulary Study Cards with Biweekly Unit Tests
- Spelling and Syllabication: 28 Grade-level Spelling Sorts and 28 Syllable Worksheets
- Study Skills: 56 Self-assessment–Study Skills Lessons–Reflection
Free One-Month Test-Drive
Preview, download, print, and test-drive the entire first month of the Academic Literacy Center Grade 4 BUNDLE HERE; the Grade 5 BUNDLE HERE; the Grade 6 BUNDLE HERE; the Grade 7 BUNDLE HERE; or the Grade 8 BUNDLE HERE. Please don't post these online. Thanks.
We are confident that once you preview or test-drive each of these quality literacy center program, you’re going to buy the full-year, grade-level Academic Literacy Center BUNDLE or mix and match by buying some of the full-year individual centers. Also check out the previews of the four Remedial Literacy Centers at the end of your free download.
We Also Recommend
Teaching Reading Strategies and Sam and Friends Guided Reading Phonics Books BUNDLE (eBook)